Sweeten hand-picks the best experts for your renovation project

Last week we met Lisa Law, the Brooklyn Heights homeowner who recently finished her budget-friendly kitchen renovation with tS member NYC ProsNow that you’ve heard the backstory, as documented by Lisa herself, this week Lisa reveals the outcome of her fully-updated kitchen, along with a very helpful rundown of her anticipated budget & the actual cost of the project.

000c_theSweeten_NYCPros_LisaKitchen

I love my new kitchen!  Although I had picked every element of the new kitchen, I was concerned that the finished whole was not going to be equivalent to the sum of all the parts; would it work cohesively in the end?  There were a few stressful times, and I did have to make some quick decisions that could have gone awry, but ultimately, I set out to achieve some major objectives and I believe I more than met them all.  I have more cabinet space, more countertop space, larger appliances, it feels much more modern and homey, and it was done in a fairly budget- and time-conscious way.  In fact, my kitchen now makes the rest of my apartment now look pretty shabby!

06_theSweeten_NYCPros_LisaKitchen

07_theSweeten_NYCPros_LisaKitchen

08_theSweeten_NYCPros_LisaKitchen

The Budget

I generally stayed within budget.  As I said, it was a “renovation-on-a-budget.” I had originally planned to spend $6,000, which increased to $9,000 when I decided to replace my appliances.  In the end, I hit almost $11,000, but that was because of a couple of “extras” that I did not account for – delivery charges, taxes, etc. I also asked Peter to install some new medicine cabinets in my bathroom. Renovations can be addicting, I just did not want to stop!

Type Item Estimate Actual
Parking Charge Ikea Parking Charge $100
Backsplash Additional Merola Tile $152
TOTAL  $9,134  $10,856
  DIFFERENCE -$1,722

09_theSweeten_NYCPros_LisaKitchen

30 Days After

For me, the hardest part of having a new kitchen was figuring out where everything goes afterwards. I suppose in hindsight, I should have planned where my dishes, silverware, cleaning supplies, pantry items, etc, would be kept. My objective was just to maximize storage efficiently, as best I could, but I didn’t actually think about which cabinets would store which items!  Lucky for me, I put in enough drawers and cabinets that I just about found a place for everything. Minus a few tall items, like my Swiffer.  Oops – note to self for next time.

I’ve also put my kitchen through a few test runs at this point, having hosted two dinner parties already, one for my family (party of 7) and one for a few girlfriends (party of 4).  The new arrangement deftly allowed my fiancé and I to cook and clean together, with minimal fuss.  My kitchen report card after 30 days?  I still heart it – it’s so bright and clean and modern, I’m 100% glad I did it!

10_theSweeten_NYCPros_LisaKitchen

We heart it too, Lisa! Thanks so much for all of your great insight on budget renovating with theSweeten!

Inspired to renovate? Post your project on theSweeten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Posted by: Shera Categories: Homeowner Post, Inspiration, Kitchens 21

21 Comments

1. Posted by Nalina on July 25, 2013 | 2:41 pm

Love it! Proof you can do a great-looking kitchen remodel without breaking the bank–

2. Posted by James on July 25, 2013 | 3:06 pm

What a Sweet post!

3. Posted by lorrie on July 25, 2013 | 6:33 pm

You did a beautiful job! I am looking into renovating my kitchen and this post has been very helpful. I know you haven’t been able to see if the Ikea cabinets stand the test of time, but how do you find the quality? They sure look great.

4. Posted by Amy on July 25, 2013 | 7:19 pm

Beatiful! Random question- I love the “open your heart” print – perfect for my newborn’s nursery. Source?

5. Posted by Jenny on July 25, 2013 | 8:59 pm

Kudos to you!! Amazing job on not just the cost, and the look, but also the incredibly short time for the renovation!! Beautiful….

6. Posted by williams on July 26, 2013 | 4:23 pm

Great redo you can’t go wrong with Ikea looks clean and organized for the space, thank for sharing

7. Posted by Lisa Law on July 30, 2013 | 8:37 am

Thanks everyone for the comments! I had a lot of fun doing the renovation so am glad everyone enjoyed it. In regards to the quality of the cabinets, I think it is a bit early to tell but I’m happy with them so far. I think they are actually pretty sturdy. The fronts are also very easy to clean. Ikea cabinets are so reasonable as well so I am a satisfied customer. As for the print, it is a DIY.

8. Posted by Hot stuff on August 13, 2013 | 9:16 pm

Omg so hot. I would totally eat off the floor.

9. Posted by CGBIII on October 20, 2013 | 7:51 am

Great job! Where did you get those chairs and table? Do the chairs slide completely under without bumping into the table leg?

10. Posted by Cynthia on November 5, 2013 | 12:08 pm

Love the look and size of the dishwasher too!! do you currently like the quality and performance? didn’t see it in your list— could you provide the name/model and approx price?

11. Posted by Laura on December 9, 2013 | 4:45 pm

I actually saw that apartment when it was for sale, and I hated the kitchen. If I saw it now I would probably buy it!

12. Posted by Leslie on December 9, 2013 | 10:50 pm

Hello – I’m wondering if you could share the dimensions of your kitchen work area? I have an absolutely tiny area for a kitchen and just can’t figure out how to fit appliances in it.

13. Posted by Joycee on December 16, 2013 | 7:44 am

Great job on the kitchen! So clean and fresh Also wondering where you got the “open your heart” print….would love it for my family room.

14. Posted by Melissa on January 19, 2014 | 10:46 am

Your kitchen is gorgeous! So fresh and bright. Can I ask you where you got the two white chairs that you’ve paired with the tripod table?

15. Posted by Veronica on January 23, 2014 | 5:00 pm

Love the kitchen redo! Kudos to you. I absolutely adore the round table and chairs. Where did you find them?

16. Posted by Lisa Law on February 27, 2014 | 9:36 pm

Hi – Haven’t checked this in a while so missed a bunch of questions! The chairs are from CB2 (Orbit) and the tripod table is from West Elm. The white one is discontinued but West Elm still sells a dark brown one. The Open Your Heart print is actually something I drew and then framed. The kitchen is probably about 12 by 7?

Hope that helps!

17. Posted by Rose on March 15, 2014 | 3:25 pm

Hey Lisa! Stunning! LOVE it! Where did you get your white chairs? I have the same tripod table and love the look. Can you share where we might be able to get a pair of these divine chairs?

18. Posted by Lisa Law on March 25, 2014 | 1:12 pm

Hi Rose, the chairs are called Orbit from CB2. Just a note that the tripod table is so small that you can really only fit two of the Orbit chairs around it comfortably. Hope that helps!

19. Posted by Aviva on July 10, 2014 | 11:35 pm

Hi, Lisa,
    You did a wonderful job renovating your kitchen! Your taste is exactly like mine… So can you tell me where did you buy the following items:
    Back splash tiles, floor tiles (linoleum?), counter tops.

Many thanks, and enjoy many happy occasions in your new kitchen.
    Aviva